As a property owner have you ever stopped to think about what would happen if there was a fire or medical emergency at your property but all of the doors were locked? How would the fire department or emergency medical personnel gain access to your building? Without a key readily available it may be necessary to force entry resulting in costly damage to doors and windows and delaying access to the emergency. While the end result may justify the means, forcible entry is a last-resort and can be avoided. In order to provide a faster and more secure service to our community, Fire Department Mount Joy has adopted the Knox-Box Rapid Entry System.
The Knox-Box Rapid Entry System is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and fire departments. When a fire breaks out or there is a medical emergency, a Knox-Box allows immediate entry into the building without forced entry damage or delay. Property owners store entrance keys, access cards and/or floor plans in high-security Knox-Boxes mounted near building entrances. Once the incident has concluded the department re-secures the property and returns the entrance key to the Knox-Box. Each Knox-Box is purchased by a property owner and is keyed to a single master key controlled by Fire Department Mount Joy.
A Knox-Box eliminates the need for forced entry in the case of an emergency, thus avoiding costly and time-consuming efforts to gain access into the building. Here are just a few reasons for a Knox-Box:
* Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your insurance deductible.
* Assure immediate building entry by firefighters without delay or waiting for building keys.
* Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
* Save time and aggravation by not having to drive to your building at 2:00 am for a false alarm.
* Feel secure about emergency coverage when your building is left unattended. The fire department holds the only key to the Knox-Box.
* Maintain building security after a fire alarm investigation by simply re-locking the undamaged door.
To read about the role that Knox-Boxes are playing in Lebanon City click here.
Consider installing a Knox-Box if any of the following apply:
To order a Knox-Box follow this simple process:
1. Click this link to go to the Knox-Box homepage: http://www.knoxbox.com/
2. Once on the homepage the different models will be listed along the left-hand side of the page. Click the Model 3200.Once you have selected the appropriate model you will be asked to key-in your zip code. Select “Mount Joy Fire Department” from the list.
NOTE: If you are unsure whether Fire Department Mount Joy is your primary fire department please email email@example.com before placing an order. Boxes are keyed according to which fire department is your primary responding agency and ordering a box with the incorrect key lock cylinder will result in added delays and expense.
3. Now that you have selected the appropriate fire department you will be presented with a list of options. Please select the following:
NOTE: If you are ordering for a new construction project in which the box will be recessed into the wall choose RECESSED
NOTE: A homeowner or business owner may choose to purchase a box equipped with a tamper switch if they plan on hooking up the box to their burglar alarm system. This will require a service call from the alarm company to hook the box up to the alarm system. Having a tamper switch will trigger the burglar alarm whenever the door to the box is opened (including authorized access by the fire department) or if the box is knocked off of the building it is mounted to. Tamper switches are not common on boxes in Mount Joy.
4. Once you have selected your model click “Add to cart”
5. Next you will be prompted to provide information on the address where the box will be installed
6. New customers will be prompted to set-up an account
7. Once your account has been set-up you will be prompted to enter payment information
8. After your order has been submitted you will receive a confirmation email. The Planning Department at the fire company will receive a similar email stating that your box has been ordered.
9. Once your KnoxBox arrives contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with the Planning Chief where he/she will come to the installation address and show you the correct place to mount the box
10. After the box has been mounted contact the planning department again (email@example.com) to make an appointment for your keys to be installed and locked in the box.
NOTE: You will need 2 copies of all keys needed to gain access to your building. This includes exterior and interior doors as well as any keys to fire alarm panels, elevator machine rooms, etc.
If you have questions about Knox-Boxes including how to order one for your property please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.